Ever since I saw this pattern, I knew I needed a bag like this. I like big bags. Always have. If I can’t fit at least three books, a variety of pens, wallet, phone and the occasional whisk or lemon reamer (all of which are in my bag right now), I’m not interested. People make fun of me, but chances are if you randomly need a swiss army knife or a bottle of glitter, I’ve got you covered. So I was instantly smitten with a bag designed to fit a full sketchpad (and supplies) in its depths.
Now, I’ve made tons of quilts, but I have this weird mental block when it comes to sewing things that aren’t quilts and pillows. I buy patterns, get overwhelmed by the amount of directions then put them on the “someday” pile. One of my crafty resolutions is to get over that. So I bought some sumptuous Anna Maria Horner velveteens, some of her beautiful new jacquard ribbons, and went to work! And you know what? It wasn’t that hard at all. Now I have a beautiful bag and I’m feeling brave enough to tackle the adorable Oliver +S patterns and make the Weeb’s some cute clothes!
My thoughts on the pattern. This was fairly easy, once I slowed myself down and read each direction carefully. I’d call this an advanced beginner in terms or difficulty. I made a few minor changes to suit my taste. I used heavy duty interfacing throughout (rather than the suggested combo of light and heavy). I like my bags to hold their shape and have some heft to them. I was a little worried that would make it difficult/bulky when I went to join all the layer together, but a switch to a stronger needle and it wasn’t an issue at all. I topstitched the ribbon to the straps after making them, but before attaching them to the purse. I used a washable tape to keep them from shifting while I sewed them in place(using my #10 edgestitch foot gave them a very polished look). I like being able to sling my purse across my body, as I’s usually schlepping a toddler and the occasional puppy. I read a few other reviews stating they wished the handle was longer, so I added an extra 14″ to the length and its perfect! I also decided to sew the straps through every layer all the way to the top. I think this helps keep the lining in place and it helps with over all stability. I just used a different color in the bobbin so the stitching won’t be too obvious on the inside. And there you have it! I’m already planning on making another one of these for my Mum…. mostly so she doesn’t steal mine when she comes to visit:)